1st US airstrikes hit Taliban since Eid truce

KABULinfo-icon (Pajhwok): US forces in Afghanistaninfo-icon on Friday confirmed conducting two airstrikes against the Talibaninfo-icon to support Afghan counterparts.

The airstrikes in southern Kandahar province and western Farah province against Taliban fighters were the first since the start of Eidul Fitr ceasefire in May, USFOR-A spokesman Col. Sonny Leggett said on Twitter.

He said the airstrikes targeted Taliban fighters who attacked Afghan army checkpoints in Kandahar and Farah provinces.

Leggett said the terms of a peace deal signed by the US and Taliban in February allowed the Americans to attack the Taliban to defend Afghan forces.

 “All sides must reduce violence to allow the peace process to take hold,” Leggett said.

Local officials in Kandahar have so far said nothing in this regard, but Farah police today confirmed the killing of 16 Taliban militants in an airstrike.

Leggett said the airstrikes were carried out in Farah province last night and today noon in Kandahar. However, he did not mention any casualties in the airstrikes.

ma

Tags: 

Add new comment