Pajhwok Services

SMS News Service

Photo Service

Audio Service

Election Coverage

Special Mining Page

Afghan Peace Process Special Page

Addvertise With Pajhwok

Daily Newsletter

Language
Sending Time (GMT / Kabul time)

Suggest a Story

Pajhwok is interested in your story suggestions. Please tell us your thoughts by clicking here.

2 years on, IEC contractors yet to pocket 2-month salary

2 years on, IEC contractors yet to pocket 2-month salary

By
On
Jun 16, 2020 - 18:16

JALALABAD (Pajhwok): A number of people who worked for two months during the parliamentary elections two years ago with the election commission on Tuesday protested against non-payment of their wages.

They protested in front of the Independent Election Commission’s office in eastern Nangarhar province against what they said not receiving a two-month salary done around two years.

They said they risked their lives and conducted awareness programs for two months in the most insecure districts of Nangarhar province, but the IECinfo-icon instead of praising them did not give their salaries in two years.

The parliamentary election was conducted almost two years ago in the whole of the country except Ghazni province.

The protesting youth chanted slogan “We want our rights from the IEC”. They said they were 205 former  EC  contractual employees, but only a few of them tuned up for the protest due to fears of coronavirus.

One of the protestors, Hasibullah Sadat, said they went to insecure areas of Nangarhar and encouraged people to participate in the elections in hard situations.

He added Nangarhar was one of the provinces with a high voter turnout after Kabulinfo-icon due to their public awareness efforts while the IEC instead of praising them, withheld their salaries for two years.

Another protestor and contractor of IEC Eng. Mirwais said that they had several times protested in front of the provincial office of the commission, but their salaries were yet to be paid.

He said that IEC head for Nangarhar, Zabihullah Wagari bullied them and told them "I am a man who is under no one’s pressure, you are free to do whatever you can .”

Ataullah, a resident of Batikot district, who led public awareness program for the election in Goshta district, said that he was threatened by militants for his job.

He added Batikot district was insecure that time and everyday gunmen sent them threats but they resisted. “After two years, we are still unpaid.”

Meanwhile, Nangarhar IEC chief  Zabihullah Wagari told Pajhwok that salaries of these people had been delayed due to some technical issues and the finance ministry had promised to provide them in the fund next fiscal year.

"When their jobs were ended, the IEC set the procedure that the staff had to hand over their equipment first, this took time and another fiscal year approached but the problem still persists, the Ministry of Finance now has promised to solve the problem in the new fiscal year," he said. 

Nangarhar governor’s spokesman, Ataullah Khogyani, also told Pajhwok that the salaries of all these people were around 10 million afghanis, which had been assured by the finance ministry to be paid.

Mds/ma

Tags: 

Related Article

Add new comment

Advertisement

Advertisement

Etisalat Get more data, Etisalat Afghanistan

Twitter Update